Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Overwhelming

It is hard to fully describe what all I have experienced in the short time I've been here, but to say that it has been overwhelming in so many different ways is probably the only way I can describe it.

Today ended orientation, beginning with some small informational meetings, ending with the president's reception, dinner with the faculty, and convocation. I have met so many interesting people that I'm looking forward to getting to know.

I think what has been most surprising - and it was surprising during the preview weekend I was here also - is how much the spiritual and faith aspect of our education has been stressed this weekend. In almost every session, from professors across the different departments, from faculty and staff, the important of our education both being an academic endeavor and a spiritual experience has been heavily emphasized. It's refreshing, and it makes me glad that I am a part of a tradition (the reformed tradition) that emphasizes the importance of both spiritual and academic discipline. It has been surprising though.

I will give an update on how my first couple classes go tomorrow. I'm also adding professors' names to my classes in case anyone reading happens to know the professors here.

No comments: