Saturday, September 22, 2007

End of the First Week

It has been a good first week, though stressful. I have sat in all of my classes now except for my speech class, which meets once a week on Monday. All of the classes look like they are going to be very good. A couple (Systematic Theology II and Church as 'Public') look like they will be the most difficult of the bunch, but they also look like they will be some of the best classes I have this semester.

And, yes, there is a ton of reading. I probably have about 500 pages that I need to have read by Monday. That will probably be about normal. Maybe 300-500 pages per week. That maybe doesn't sound too bad, but it is all dense reading. Put on top of that time to work, eat, and generally stay sane, and it's a lot of reading. Thankfully, there are two weeks during the semester, one before mid-terms, some before finals, that are designated as "reading weeks." The are no classes during that week so that we can catch up on our reading. And though it may be tempting to do otherwise, I will probably take full advantage of that week to catch up on the reading that I won't be able to keep up with.

I'm still adjusting to life on the East coast, mostly in sleep pattern. I've already developed a pretty close group of friends that go to meals together often, so I feel I have that kind of a support group together. We'll see what the first full week is like, complete with a full class schedule and precepts. Tomorrow I plan on attending Nassau Presbyterian Church. I'm not expecting it to become my church home, but it's a place with a lot of history in Princeton and the Presbyterian church in general. So it seems like a place that I should check out at least once.

I'll update again soon.

No comments: