Monday, October 8, 2007

Some Tough Decisions

Another week has begun. School is starting to get to that point where I have to push myself to keep going. We've settled into our classes and routines, and the work is starting to pile on. I am getting used to being in that routine again and trying to remind myself to stay on top of my work. In two weeks we have a reading week to help us catch up with our work and prepare (or write in some cases) for midterms. Everything has certainly moved by fast.

Some of you may already know this; for others this may be news. When I first visited Princeton and began to seriously look into the school, I knew I would have the opportunity to do one of the required field education placements abroad.. I wanted to take advantage of that during a summer, perhaps traveling to Scotland or another country in the UK. On Thursday night last week, there was an informational meeting about those placements. With it came good news and difficult news. The good news was that Scotland is an available option for field placement and that international field placements are very doable. The difficult news is that Scotland placements can only be done during an academic year; I would only be able to do that placement from September to May/June. The only summer placements available are in Africa and the Yucatan Penisula, placements I am already very aware that I would not be able to handle.

I have been weighing the pros and cons, and just by the lists, the pros by far outweigh the cons. Princeton covers many of the expenses: airfare, room, board, transportation, and immunizations (if necessary) up to $900. I also receive a stipend, so I'm essentially being paid to live abroad. I also do not take any classes while I'm there. As much as possible, I would become a Scottish resident. And everyone who I have talked to who has done the year long placement has come back thoroughly enjoying their experience. But the cons are weighing on my heart. I would be away from family and friends for a year. I might have the opportunity to come home once, but that would be about it. I would also push my education back by a year. What has made this most difficult though is the fact that I would not graduate with many of the friends I have already made. I don't know how to put that into words more effectively, but meeting these people, connecting with them, leaving them for a year, and then seeing them graduate while I have a year left could be painful for me. This is perhaps a dilemma that many other graduate students have to go through, but it is a concern.

There is more to wrestle over, but this is what has been sticking out the most. And in all truth, this is simply hypothetical. I must first be accepted into the international placement program, then I must interview with the site supervisors before I am finalized at any site. So nothing is for sure even if I decide to pursue this actively. At this point, I plan on submitting an application while still wrestling with this in and discussing it with other people.

I know that this is an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It's not very often anyone has the opportunity to travel abroad almost for free, or to live in a country for a year and immerse oneself into a different culture. And for me personally, the family history in Scotland is hard to resist. But I have to determine if it is worth leaving these relationships I developed for a year.

Any feedback is appreciated. I could really use prayer as I struggle with this opportunity.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i know for me, i would regret it for the rest of my life if i missed the chance to live (for almost free) in another country. Not only would you probably not get an opportunity like that again, most people never get that opportunity in their life period. there would be hard some days but it's the kind of hard that's only going to make you a stronger and more well rounded person. just remember that God provided great friends and support at princeton, there's no doubt he will be faithful to provide great friends and supporters in scotland as well (plus they'll have awesome accents). =)