Friday, October 19, 2007

Guess Who I Met

So today as I was working my shift at the Princeton University store, an elderly looking man approached me. He was holding two umbrellas in his hand, one looking like his own, one looking new. He looked familiar, having a somewhat long face, short white hair, and a somewhat peculiar demeanor. His behavior seemed slightly off, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. He wanted to know about exchanging his umbrellas, and my manager proceeded to help him.

Turns out that this interesting old man was John Nash. In case you don't remember who John Nash is, he was the man portrayed by Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind, and he won the Nobel Prize. I was basically standing next to one of the most amazing people of the 20th century as far as academics are concerned.

I feel just a bit smarter for standing in his presence.

No comments: