Monday, January 5, 2009

Back at School

It has been an interesting transition going from Christmas break to school. I have not really enjoyed being back at school very much, mostly because I feel very distant from home. But with classes resuming today, it has been a little easier to keep my mind off of that fact. I am taking Presbyterian History and Theology for my January intensive course, and so far it has been an enjoyable class. The professors are two of my favorites, so it will be a joy to go to class in the morning.

I had to make a difficult decision regarding my thesis. Because of events that happened over break, which I am still dealing with emotionally, I did not feel that I could put in the effort necessary to complete a thesis that I would feel confident presenting to my adviser. I needed to do quite a bit of work on it during December and I was not able to put that work in. So this afternoon, I decided to drop my independent study and no longer work on my thesis. I don't regret putting the work into it that I did, and though I am disappointed that I was unable to finish it, I am also relieved. I have enough stress to carry around for now. My thesis felt more like a self-inflicted wound than an exciting project toward the end of break, and I didn't want that burden anymore. I hope that sometime in the near future I can return to it and complete it for a later date. For now, it needs to be shelved.

I am hoping that the transition back to school will be smoother as classes continue to progress. More updates to come soon.

No comments: