Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Moving Along

I always mean to update this more often. Then three weeks go by and I realize that I haven't written anything in awhile. So now seems like the proper time to get everything up to date.

Life has been on cruise control a bit over the last couple weeks. Things haven't necessarily been busy, but everything has been moving along at a steady pace, though there have been some pretty significant interruptions. Classes have been canceled three times already because of snow, and with a possible storm moving in tomorrow, there could be another cancellation (though most likely not, since this storm doesn't seem as bad and the previous ones). But despite that, life seems to be moving along as normal. The tension I was feeling earlier is still there, but now that I'm closer to being home, I certainly feel less tense.

A week away from Princeton can be so rejuvenating. Thankfully, the environment hasn't felt as draining as the past two years. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that all of the seniors now realize that we can't (or don't need to) be in competition with each other anymore. There has been a greater feeling of camaraderie this semester and greater desire to lift each other up rather than tear each other down. Sadly this has taken two years to have this feeling finally, but especially since this is a difficult year, it's certainly welcome.

I am becoming more aware of the fact that I won't be here anymore, and there is nothing sad about it. I will miss the friends I've made here and some of the lunchtime conversation, but I don't feel that I'll need to look over my shoulder has I leave this campus. I will have accomplished what I set out to do, and though the journey was not what I was expecting at all, I think it will have been a good experience, though one I won't be clamoring to repeat anytime soon. That's not to say I don't want to continue my education but I can't foresee it happening at an institution like Princeton. I've come to learn that faculty-student interactions are central to my ability to learn, and it's become apparent over the last three years that research-oriented schools simply don't have the structure in place to foster those types of collegial relationships. Earlier during my time here I think I would have wanted to reject any type of education model like this, but I'm beginning to realize that there is a place for this type of research and this type of school. I've just also become aware that it's not where I want to establish my career or vocation.

I'm looking forward to my family coming out for graduation. I'm looking forward to showing everyone where I've been studying for the last three years and the environment I've been able to enjoy during that time. I can't envision myself living on the East Coast, but I do enjoy aspects of it.

I'm also looking forward to the start of Spring Training games. Following baseball in the off-season has its joys, but especially this off-season, there was so little interaction and drama that the Hot Stove never felt like it got past a slow simmer. So especially this season I'm looking forward to baseball getting back into full swing. Dodger spring training games start Friday!

The last bit of exciting news before I end this post is that I have accomplished something I thought I wouldn't be able to do until after I got my Ph.D. As most of you know, I have been working on a research paper about Lesslie Newbigin, and I turned part of that research paper into an article and submitted it to the Princeton Theological Review. Last Thursday, I received an e-mail informing me that my article will be included in the next issue! It is incredibly exciting news for me, and I'm still in disbelief about it. I've been working on revisions frantically over the past few days and I have to turn in my next draft by Sunday, but I am thrilled and overjoyed. Let me know if you want to get a copy of it, and I will try to get as many as I can.

Next week I'm back at home, so I will update again once I'm back in Princeton. Until then...

No comments: