Friday, March 20, 2009

Moving Along

The semester is over half-way done. I have finished my midterms, and now it's the home stretch to get everything done before finals week. Time has certainly been flying by.

My classes have been going well. My Children's Fantasy Literature class continues to be my favorite. Before our Reading Week (aka Spring Break), I was involved in a skit where I got to play J. R. R. Tolkien. It was a lot of fun and well received by the class. Then, in the class after returning from break, a Harry Potter expert, John Granger, came to the class to talk about the Christian symbolism in the Harry Potter series. If you enjoy the Harry Potter books, you need to check out his books. I had to smack myself in the head a couple times thinking, "How could I miss something so obvious?" I have a new respect for J. K. Rowling's writing, and would actually put it pretty close to the quality of Tolkien or C. S. Lewis's writing. Later that night, our class had a Fantasy Ball where we could dress up as our favorite characters from any book in the class. I dressed up as Gandalf the Grey, complete with beard, hair and staff. I won Best Costume and received a copy of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard." Definitely worth the effort. =)

That was the levity for the week. I also had plenty of midterms to work on when I got back to school after being in CA for a week. Thankfully, I think I did well on all of them.

It was good to be home, and I definitely miss it. But in 5 weeks, I will be jetting back to CA again for the summer, which is hard to believe. I think I will be done with school before pretty much anyone else this year, flying back on April 26. And then I will only have one year left at Princeton.

I'm going to push hard to the end. There is still plenty of work to do. It is encouraging that Spring is breaking in and the trees and flowers are starting to blossom. It gives a new found energy to everything on campus.

No comments: